Welcome to historic Damariscotta Mills, Maine – home to one of Maine’s oldest and most productive alewife fisheries. The stone fish ladder that is the centerpiece of Damariscotta Mills was constructed in 1807 by the Towns of Nobleboro and Newcastle because, for nearly a century, mills blocked access for fish to the freshwater falls. In 2007, after two centuries of use, the fish ladder was in poor condition so a restoration project was initiated by a strong community group working with the Towns of Nobleboro and Newcastle and the Nobleboro Historical Society.
Each fall, the water is turned off in the fish ladder to protect the stone structure from the effects of freezing and thawing. Its a real sign of spring each year when April 1 comes around and the gates are opened to let water again flow through the beautiful new fish ladder. Smelts spawn in […]
To conform with guidelines concerning large gatherings and social distancing, we have decided to cancel the Alewife Festival and the Run with the Alewives road race originally scheduled for May 23. We hope to hold a version of both sometime in the Fall. The Quilt Raffle will remain open with the drawing to be held […]